Tuesday, October 11, 2011

VW Transaxle Clean Up

I stripped the transaxle apart over the weekend and gave it a good cleaning. I intended on putting in a freeway flyer ring and pinion (3.88:1) but it turns out to already have a 4.12:1 set in it already. Close enough! This transaxle is actually a type 3, which has longer swing axles and bigger brakes. It also originally had a z-bar on it and the mounts were still on the axle tubes. I removed them and smoothed the tubes for a cleaner look. I went ahead and replaced the disintegrating trans mounts with new urethane ones and installed the lower brace. Next I need to replace a few leaking seals before it all goes back together.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4