Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Vee-Dub Carb Repair

I've been busy at work, but I finally found some time to get back to work on the vw-powered bike. Working on a stripped-out carb stud. For some reason I'm too cheap to buy a helicoil kit, but since I've got this handy dandy lathe around I took a different approach. Grabbed a piece of well-loved mild steel from my scrap bucket and chucked it up in the lathe.


Turned it down into an 8mm tip with a 10mm shank.


I don't have a metric transposing gear for my lathe so I used dies for the threading. Turned out pretty good I'd say.


Drilled and tapped out the carb body for the stud and set it in place with a healthy dose of red loctite.


It'll never "blend in", but it's plenty strong with the 10mm-coarse threads holding it in place. Scrounged up a crusty 8mm nut from my spare hardware bin since it had a bolt in it before and therefore no extra nut. After it sets thoroughly I can continue with my carb rebuild.

696 horsepower and ~1500 lbs

Nine engines that is. Six of which will be in my possession soon. Yesterday I helped Racecar Robbie and Pinstripe Chris move some things around in a storage container of Robbies and these engines were in there. Robbie made me a deal I couldnt refuse and I am now the proud owner of the following engines:

Gl1000
Cb450
Cb550
Cb750 SOHC
xs650
CBR600 F-3

I have long term plans for a few of them already. Yesterday was a happy day.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

I got pickled eggs and rootbeer!! What did you get!?!?!?!?!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

Thursday, April 21, 2011

True Wuv

Knows no bounds....
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

Sunday, April 17, 2011

You rock Twinkie.

Period.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Varuns bike is off the table finally

I just have to tidy things up, tune, and get the tank and tail on. Suddenly having a full time job has put a damper on my progress in the garage.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

Saturday, April 9, 2011

KMP Update: Other peoples wiring

Can really suck to work on. This system has been modified numerous times. One of the hot leads to the front of the bike has four splices in it in 18 inches. The new box is mounted and I have rerun a lot of the wires to get rid of the clutter. The electrics box will be removable with disconnects on each wire. Ill be repainting the rear of the frame so ill need to clear out the wires.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

BV got some pages in the latest issue of Lowside mag.

Word. Thanks Rich. Check out Lowside in my links to the right. Great stuff.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

Thursday, April 7, 2011

KMP Update.

Battery box will be relocated to a tidy spot below the oil tank and im staring at this santee box with so much hate right now. You need to find a new home. Getting rid of this huge box will clean up the engine area nicely. Hopefully ill be able to clean up some of the wires at the front of the bike as well.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

K-Fed dropped his bike off for some work

KMPjr (Kevin) dropped his bike off for some work. Kevin is a great giy and he rides a nice bike. It just needs some love. Tune up, clean up, fix this, change that. Get this thing back up and rolling with pride.

Ill be working on this in my spare time over the next two weeks while finishing up varuns bike.

Keep yo head up young man. The days will always get brighter.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8