Monday, June 27, 2011

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Took the Flute into the Crick.

Getting out was fun.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

Blog post.

Jeff wants me to blog something about the WHCM trip. So here is a picture of us getting ice cream on the way home.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

Thursday, June 23, 2011

PBR 2010 Vintage

This brew was left by Travis jn our cooler last year at the World Honda Chopper Meet. I have kept it cold since then and will be returning it to Travis this year. Mmmmmm
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Road testing. Shake downs.

Always exciting. Rock flute hasnt even hiccuped. Running great and free. Varuns bike showed signs of a charging problem. Carl was hanging out and we limped the bike home and traced the wiring down. Turns out I tricked myself when wiring up a 6 wire reg rect which i was not familiar with. I added an acc power wire to the white stator wire and the black reg rect wire. Its charging nicely now. We also replaced the stator and added stock connections in to make future work much easier.

Helpful tip: keep all of your old stock wiring harnesses for parts in a pinch.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

Monday, June 20, 2011

Tuning up for the Roost!!!!

The flute and Varuns bike are about ready to go to the whcm! I cant wait!!!!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Transmission is open, what a mess...

Popped the flange out with the home-made puller. Brass was definitely a good choice for the screw part because I had to hit it pretty good with a hammer to break it free. Once the flange was out of the way it was abundantly clear where all the aluminum shavings came from. Warning, if the sight of tortured motorcycle parts makes you squeamish you may want to look away.


On the up side, all the gears look good. Wear patterns are proper, no chipped teeth, nothing out of the ordinary. On the other hand, here is the primary culprit for both my noise and the output-flange slop.


The rest of the bearing is still in the case. That's going to be a fun one to get out. Also, some of the bearing dug into the thrust washer in the case. Looks like it didn't get through, so the case should be fine, but I'll need a new one of those too.

As I said before, this was a sidecar bike for possibly a good number of miles. I suspect the weight of the sidecar, coupled with the extra torque of the VW motor, caused this. Definitely time for a new input shaft, and unfortunately the mangled collar in this picture is another conversion-specific custom part. Gotta figure out how to fix that one.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Flange Puller Continued...

In the meantime, I'm still working on my output flange puller/fixture. I machined the counterbores into the big aluminum piece to use the stock bolts, and also two flats on it to grab with a big wrench. Then I machined the end of the brass piece to .750" so I can grab that with a wrench too.


All I need to make now is a flange nut socket and I can get into this trans and see what's up.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Beemer-Bummer

After the inaugural ride, the BMVW developed a loud grinding noise in the transmission. After picking up a new Clymer manual I decided to tear into it earlier this week. Here are some of the unfortunate pictures.

This is the fluid that came out of the driveshaft. The particles are non-magnetic, so they must be aluminum shavings from somewhere in the driveline (not good).


So it was time to take the entire driveline off and apart and see what's going on in there.


With the transmission on the bench I had to start making the special tools to take it apart. First up is the flange puller. I completed the lathe work on it last night. Hopefully this weekend I'll finish it up.



Initial observations seem to point to a bad bearing on the output shaft of the trans. I can see scoring inside the lip of the output flange where it's been rattling around, and the flange has play in it which it should not. The final drive looks ok, but with all the shavings it should come apart anyway while it's out.

Friday, June 3, 2011

bwaaaaaaaa-glug-glug-glug-glug

Me encanta Troegs.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9