Draft Cycle Works

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Survivor Chop: Gauge and dash plate install

I was told that this old blue chop used to have stock gauges, but when it arrived here, it had nothing.  It was however dropped off with a mini speedo, so I snagged a matching mini tach and modified a few brackets to mount them to the top of the risers using one of the top clamp bolts.  It was difficult to find a good, clean location for these, but I think the final location looks very tidy and doesn't add a lot of bulk to the look of the chop.  Sometimes a chop can look pretty cluttered when they have all of the gauges and wiring intact.

The front wheel is a stock CB750 wheel, so it uses a stock speedo drive.  John had a custom length speedo cable made that worked perfectly.  I needed a custom tach cable as well, but it was so close to stock lengths, that I looked for an oem part that would work.  I found that the VT500C cable, motion pro PN 02-0110, was almost perfect.  I would prefer that it was a little longer, but it's so close to being right... and at a great price compared to a custom cable.

Modified mounts for the speedo and tach.

Gauges installed.

The wires were not covered under the light cluster when the bike arrived.  Before John picked it up, the previous owner had cut all the wiring for the handlebar controls in an attempt to put ape hangers on.  they were poorly spliced and I'm guessing this is the point in time when this cover went missing.  I cleaned up all the wiring and organized it in the housing.  I made a new cover out of 0.6 mm thick mirror polished 304 stainless steel plate.

Shiny plate, pretty face.

No comments:

Post a Comment