Draft Cycle Works

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Some people shouldn't even own tools...

When I picked up my daily ride, the '94 Magna, from the previous owner a few little things nagged at me. One of them was the obvious RTV poking out around the clutch cover. I asked the PO about it, and he told me he'd had a clutch put in it recently. Fine, although I don't understand why a 9,000 mile bike should ever need a clutch. It didn't look that bad, and the clutch worked fine, so I kind of forgot about it for a couple thousand miles. I've got a long ride coming up in a couple weeks and I'm taking care of all the little things before I go (and a couple big things, more on that later) so I figured I'd get a new clutch cover gasket and put it on to get rid of the unsightly RTV. Know what I found when I pried the cover off?





Yeah, no gasket, just a GALLON of RTV with half of it inside the lip of the cover just waiting to get into all the oil passages and pickups in the engine. What the hell is wrong with some people? The dude I bought the bike from doesn't turn wrenches, so I can only imagine this happened in what someone was pretending was a motorcycle shop. Please, people, don't do this to your bike. RTV does not belong anywhere near the inside of the engine unless the manual tells you, and then it's to be used SPARINGLY. Also, it is not a substitute for an easily obtained $18 gasket. Some people just shouldn't own tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment